DOT, HUD, EPA coordinate 'livability' effort
DOT Secretary Ray LaHood, HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan and EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson announced an interagency partnership for sustainable communities on June 16. Six "livability principles" will guide policy coordination.
Earlier this year, HUD and DOT announced an agreement to implement joint housing and transportation initiatives. (See this story)
With EPA joining the partnership, the three agencies will work together to ensure that these housing and transportation goals are met while simultaneously protecting the environment, promoting equitable development, and helping to address the challenges of climate change.
The six ‘livability principles’:
- Provide more transportation choices.
- Promote equitable, affordable housing.
- Enhance economic competitiveness.
- Support existing communities.
- Coordinate policies and leverage investment.
- Value communities and neighborhoods.