Reconnecting America Is Looking For A New Policy Director
TITLE: Policy Director
LOCATION: Washington DC
REPORTS TO: Chief of Staff and President/CEO
DATE: IMMEDIATE OPENING
About Reconnecting America:
Reconnecting America (RA) is a national non-profit organization that is working to integrate transportation systems and the diverse communities they serve, with the goals of improving economic opportunities for all people, ensuring environmental sustainability, and giving current and future residents more housing and mobility choices. RA provides an even-handed, fact-based perspective, working with a broad and diverse set of stakeholders at all levels of government and in local communities, to foster a supportive policy, programmatic and fiscal environment that fosters healthy, walkable and prosperous communities that are well connected by quality transportation.
Reconnecting America is seeking a Policy Director with particular expertise in transportation and transit-oriented development who will work out of our Washington DC office. The Policy Director will report directly to the Chief of Staff and President/CEO.
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES:
The Policy Director will serve as lead staff for Reconnecting America on policy issues related to transit-oriented development and transportation policy both in the context of urban, suburban and rural communities. As a Senior Staff member, the Policy Director is responsible for work by the Policy Team to analyze, research, and develop recommendations for federal, state, and local policies to support modernizing the nation’s transportation system, supporting transit-oriented development, and responding to rulemaking and guidance on federal livable communities, rail, transit, planning, and highway programs. The Policy Director will work closely with other national partners working on affordable housing, community development, climate change and sustainability policies at all levels of government. This position works in close coordination with the other program areas of the organization. It is also part of the management team of the Center for Transit Oriented Development, helping to lead policy work specifically on equitable transit-oriented development in close collaboration with CTOD partners at the Center for Neighborhood Technology and at Strategic Economics.
The Policy Director will work to elevate Reconnecting America’s overall presence in national research and policy-making forums on sustainable communities, transit-oriented development, mixed-income housing located near transit, and intercity transportation. The Policy Director will manage work loads and assignments, coordinate research, and supervise junior staff located both in Washington, DC office and in other Reconnecting America regional offices.
- Manage Policy Program for Reconnecting America, including supervising junior staff.
- Develop funding proposals and work plans for the Policy Program, including managing staff, budget, and reporting requirements for grants and contracts associated with the Policy Program.
- Represent Reconnecting America in federal policy settings including meetings with Congressional offices, the Administration, and the Transportation for America (www.t4america.org) federal strategies and policy team meetings.
- Provide policy guidance and recommendations for federal, state, and local policies to support transit-oriented development as part of Center for Transit Oriented Development partnership team.
- Conduct and manage research and writing of major policy work (reports, white papers, etc.).
- Identify policy strategies related to transit-oriented development, federal transportation policy, and sustainable communities, particularly for federal reform in Congress and at Administration levels.
- Build and coordinate with allied partners, and help to develop new partnerships, and represent our organization within larger discussion, meetings and forums.
- Identify legislative actions, opportunities and allies, and monitor legislation relevant to transit-oriented development, sustainable communities and other areas of relevance.
- Monitor Federal Register Notice and manage organization’s and partner’s responses to federal public comment documents.
- Represent Reconnecting America at conferences, congressional meetings, briefings and other policy forums.
- Thorough understanding of federal transportation programs and legislative process.
- At least 5 years experience in government relations work, with ability to engage with both primary political parties.
- Proven management skills with experience supervising staff, monitoring grants and contracts, designing program budgets.
- Strategic thinking skills to identify policy strategies, particularly for federal and state legislative and administrative reforms.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills. Ability to work productively, professionally and respectfully with a wide range of partners, constituents and other critical community stakeholders, in a diversity of settings; experience working in situations involving collaboration among multiple stakeholders representing diverse interests and points of view.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to analyze, to think critically and to explain alternatives clearly; comfortable speaking in front of diverse audiences.
- Strong research and analytical skills; ability to write clearly, succinctly and convincingly about complex information and conveying new concepts in the areas of transportation, housing, community development, social and physical environmental issues, commercial and residential development, and related subjects.
- Motivated, enthusiastic and committed to the organization’s mission.
- Expertise in basic computer software, including excel, adobe, and powerpoint for research, presentation and communication purposes. Experience with graphic and mapping software including GIS considered a plus.
- Master’s degree in Transportation, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics, Urban Planning, or other related field, or a minimum of five years work experience in a related field.
- Employee must have abilities to work with minimal supervision, flexibility and creative thinking to help with problem solving, multiple demands and priorities, and fast paced work environment.
Salary and Benefits
The position is full-time, and based in Washington, DC. Salary is competitive and commensurate with training and experience. Reconnecting America provides a comprehensive benefits package.
- Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume (as a Word or pdf file) by June 11th, 2010 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line write POLICY DIRECTOR POSITION. No phone calls, please. For more information about Reconnecting America please visit our website: www.reconnectingamerica.org
- Reconnecting America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.