Guidelines for Providing Access to Public Transportation Stations
TCRP Report 153: Guidelines for Providing Access to Public Transportation Stations provides a process and spreadsheet-based tool for effectively planning for access to high capacity transit stations, including commuter rail, heavy rail, light rail, bus rapid transit (BRT), and ferry. The report is accompanied by a CD that includes the station access planning spreadsheet tool that allows trade-off analyses among the various access modes (automobile, transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and transit-oriented development) for different station types. The potential effectiveness of transit-oriented development opportunities to increase transit ridership is also assessed.
This report and accompanying materials are intended to aid the many groups involved in planning, developing, and improving access to high capacity transit stations, including public transportation and highway agencies, planners, developers, and affected citizens.
TCRP Report 153 addresses planning and design for access to high capacity transit stations, including guidelines for arranging and integrating various station design elements. The report
- Provides a detailed eight-step planning process for effective station access planning;
- Provides elements of successful station access planning and specific lessons learned from research case studies to improve the effectiveness of the planning process;
- Sets forth a comprehensive station typology, provides information on station boarding and arrival volumes and access modes by station type, and provides guidance for establishing policy for station mode of access;
- Presents techniques for estimated travel demand in terms of station boardings by mode and introduces the station access planning tool;
- Discusses station arrangement and design, and provides broad objectives and considerations for improving station access;
- Presents guidelines for enhancing pedestrian access to, from, and within station areas;
- Offers guidance relating to bicycle access and parking;
- Contains guidance for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of feeder transit access;
- Covers park-and-ride locations and arrangements to stations; and
- Discusses transit-oriented development and its relation to station access and parking.
The appendices to TCRP Report 153 provide detailed additional information and are available on the accompanying CD.
- Appendix A summarizes the stakeholder interviews and literature review that formed a basis for the guidance provided in this report; the full literature review is available as
- TCRP Web-Only Document 44: Literature Review for Providing Access to Public Transportation Stations;
- Appendix B provides an overview of existing analysis tools related to transit station access;
- Appendix C presents a spreadsheet-based station analysis tool for assessing various station access alternatives and instructions for use and provides detailed instructions on using the tool;
- Appendix D includes a summary of existing data related to transit access collected as part of the research project, including access mode share characteristics for select stations throughout the United States; and
- Appendix E contains the project’s 11 case studies. The case studies illustrate the organizational elements for successful station access planning, and provide applications for elements of the eight-step planning process to specific stations at each of the eleven case study transit agencies.
The appendices and planning tool are available for download below.