Reconnecting America’s Policy Program envisions a nation where public policy at the federal, state, and local level facilitates, promotes, and supports the development of healthy and vibrant communities and regions.
RA’s Policy team analyzes current policies at all levels of government to identify those that support the creation of thriving communities, as well as those that present barriers to the development of such communities. We recommend policy changes to support the efforts of public officials, practitioners, and other leaders to build communities which are livable, economically vibrant, and accessible to all. We develop diverse coalitions of partners to work toward implementation of recommended policy changes through education of policymakers and other stakeholders at all levels of government.
Recent Policy Work
Click on the link to learn more about each report.
- Key Proposals in the Administration’s FY14 Budget for Transit, TOD, and Sustainable Communities
- Final New Starts / Small Starts Regulation (2013)
- Midsize Cities On The Move: A Look At The Next Generation Of Rapid Bus, Bus Rapid Transit, And Streetcar Projects In The United States
- Policy Brief – Locating Aff ordable Housing Near Transit: A Strategic Economic Decision
- Summary of the Federal Transit Administration’s FY2013 New Starts/Small Starts Report
- Summary and Analysis of the President’s Fiscal Year 2013 Budget Request (Feb. 16, 2013)
- List of Possible Funding Sources for Sustainable Communities
- Putting Transit to Work in Main Street America
- Fact Sheet: Building Economic Strength Through Sustainable Communities
- Inventory of TOD Programs and Policies
Testimony and Comments on Federal Rules
- Testimony Before House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials
- Comments On FTA Proposed Circular On Joint Development Projects
- Comments On HUD Proposed Information Collection On 2012 American Housing Survey
- Comments On FTA Proposed Rulemaking for the Environmental Impact and Related Procedures
- Comments On FTA New Starts Proposed Rulemaking
- Reconnecting America CEO Testifies Before House Committee
- Can We Still Do Great Things? High-Speed Rail and the American Future
- High-speed rail and the culture war